The West Valley Search and Rescue team generally recruits volunteers every odd-numbered year. However, applications are accepted at any time and you may apply online by clicking the button below.
All West Valley volunteers are non-paid employees of the San Bernardino Sheriffs' Department (SBSO). As such, all team members and recruits must comply with requirements set forth for volunteers by the SBSO.
Team members must:
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Be a legal resident of the United States
- Have a high school diploma or G.E.D.
- Pass a physical exam
- Pass an oral interview
- Pass a background investigation
- Have a valid California Driver's License
- Have current automobile insurance
- Attend an entry-level training program (Probationary Member Training) within 12 months of acceptance into the program
|Prior to September
||Submit the completed application
||Attend an orientation meeting
|Prior to November
||Complete all SBSO paperwork and pass a physical exam
|Prior to January
||Pass an oral interview
||Begin training classes