The West Valley Search and Rescue team recruits for new members every year. Field rescuers are sought during even numbered years so they may begin their training program in February of the following year. Non-field Support personnel are recruited on odd-numbered years and also begin their training in February of the following year. Associate positions are filled as they become available.
All West Valley volunteers are non-paid employees of the San Bernardino Sheriffs' Department (SBSO). As such, all team members and recruits must comply with requirements set forth for volunteers by the SBSO.
Team members must:
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Be a legal resident of the United States
- Have a high school diploma or G.E.D.
- Pass a physical exam
- Pass an oral interview
- Pass a background investigation
- Have a valid California Driver's License
- Have current automobile insurance
- Attend an entry-level training program (Probationary Member Training) within 12 months of acceptance into the program